Limit: one entry per category.
1) Poet’s Choice: Limit 80 lines, any subject, any form. Judge: Carl Adamshick.
2) Members Only: Limit 20 lines, any subject, any form. Entrant must be a current OPA member. Judge: Leah Stenson.
3) New Poets: Limit 30 lines, any subject, any form. A new poet is someone with no more than two poems published in online or print journals. Self-published work is not considered published in this context. Judge: Stephanie Adams-Santos.
4) Traditional Form—Blank Verse: Limit 40 lines, blank verse form (unrhyming iambic pentameter), any subject. Judge: John Morrison.
5) Theme—Our Common Life: Limit 40 lines, any form, on the subject of “our common life.” Judge: Toni Lumbrazo Luna.
Spaces between stanzas do not count as lines.
Poet’s Choice: 1st $100; 2nd $50; 3rd $30; 3 Honorable Mentions.
All other categories: 1st $50; 2nd $30; 3rd $20; 3 Honorable Mentions.
All 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place poems will be published on the OPA website and in the annual anthology of prizewinners, Verseweavers.
OPA Members—Flat rate of $8 for up to five poems (limit of one poem per category).
Non-members— Flat rate of $15 for up to four poems (limit of one poem per category).
Submitted electronically or postmarked by September 1, 2019, midnight PDT.
Electronic submissions (preferred; see guidelines below): OPA Submittable.
By mail (see guidelines below):
OPA, Contest Entries, PO Box 14582, Portland, OR 97293