Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Writer's Survey

When I first started reading manuscripts, I came across particular character issues time after time: main characters who are stuck, emotionally numb, unable to express intimate feelings, or too conflicted or wounded to act.

I came to recognize these character personas are an extension of the storyteller's feelings and mind set. A storyteller who feels 'stuck' in life creates a main character who mirrors that. Emotionally numb authors create emotionally numb main characters. Writers with issues around intimacy create characters unable to express or feel love. Wounded writers create wounded heroic characters who can only react, not act. I call this personal storytelling.

To help writers recognize when characters are being created for an internal story promise, I've created a number of creative personality types and how they affect writing choices. When writers read the personality types, I ask them to identify which types they see reflected in themselves.

I then read ten manuscript pages to explore how the writer's personality affected their choices in storytelling.

My notes on the ten pages will review how I perceive that a writer's personality affected their choice of characters and the kinds of words they use to tell a story, and offer notes on the pages using my A Story is a Promise concepts.

This is ten pages of the beginning of a story, in 12 point font, double-spaced.

For $10, writers get the opening to their novels reviewed.

Contact me at bjscript@teleport.com if you are interested.

Must be a U.S. resident and have mastered basic writing skills.


*************************


To read some of my reviews of popular movies, novels, and plays, check out my writing workbook, A Story is a Promise & The Spirit of Storytelling, available on Amazon's Kindle and Barnes and Noble's Nook.