Sunday, October 5, 2008

Copyrighting Characters

I sat in on a workshop at Write on the Sound offered by literary attorney Gary Marshall (http://www.marshallcomputer.com/publications.htm). I didn't know that a character in a novel can also be copyrighted. If I understood this story correctly, when Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October became a huge success and he went with a bigger publisher, the original publisher 'owned' the copyright to the characters from Hunt. The larger publisher had to buy those rights.

Something for people who want to do a series to consider when going with a publisher.

My Narrative Tension workshop was well-attended and well-received. The book seller sold 22 of my books and ran out. I violated my own rules of always have plenty of extra books, always have more handouts than I expect to need, and always have fliers. I came up with Elizabeth Lyon in her car, so I didn't pack as much stuff.

But still...

Bill